SPICEWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized: January 12, 1908
Originally joined Austin Baptist Association
Charter Member: Burnet-Llano Association, 1913
CHURCH HISTORY
It was a happy day when 13 charter members met on January 2, 1908, to organize a new missionary Baptist Church in Spicewood. It is believed they met in the schoolhouse until the church building was completed in 1913.
Spicewood Baptist Church was constituted on January 12, 1908. Rev. Thornton Payne helped to constitute the Church, and Rev. H.M. Crain of Marble Falls delivered the sermon. On the same day, Rev. R.A. Mobley was selected pastor of the Church. The J.B. Pangle family gave four acres of land to the Community on which to build its School and Churches.
The Spicewood Baptist Church Building was started in the fall of 1911 and completed during the winter of 1912, at a cost of $1,963.20. The tabernacle was built in 1918 from lumber brought in from Austin on horse-drawn wagons. The remodeling of the tabernacle started in July, 1975 and was completed in 1976. In conclusion to this Church history, it is only fitting that we quote from the minutes of the Church record, dated May, 1913.
“We do not feel that this report would be complete without our making mention of the assistance of the ladies’ aid in the work of building this (Church) house. They were the first to begin the agitation of the building a Church home and the first in planning out ways and means by which a building fund might be started. Setting aside pigs, calves, chickens and produce to grown into marketable stuff to be sold, the proceeds of such to go into the building fund for the Church.”